11.03.2011

Beginning of the Journey

About a year ago, I started volunteering at a homeless shelter.  Basically, it's just a small group of girls from my church who go one night a month to hang out with the women, eat some snacks, play with the kids, and make a connection. 

I had no idea what to expect the first night.  I was a mixture of nervous and excited and awkward and unsure.  The one thing I was sure of is that God was calling me to this place.  After years of serving in the church, I knew it was time to get back into the community. 

Now, a year later, I can look back on my journey of "helping" and see that more so than anything I have done for the shelter, God has been helping me.  Saving me from myself, and my own selfishness.  Breaking my heart for the "widows and orphans."  Opening my eyes to the suffering in our own backyard.  Keeping me in a constant posture of gratitude and humility.  Showing me that in His economy, He is NOT poor, and He delights to lavish His children with amazing gifts.  Teaching me to ask the impossible, and then wait and see what He will do.  I've seen more miracles in this past year than I have my entire life.  He's showing me that partnering with Him is an adventure and always a wild, amazing, thrilling, and sometimes scary ride. 

I have so many incredible stories that I would love to share at some point - just not sure if the blogging world is the appropriate forum, due to confidentiality purposes.  I'm going to have to pray about that one.  If you are reading this, ask me next time I see you, I would love to share in person!

As I was driving to storytime at the library today, I caught the end of this song and was captivated by the lyrics:

The hunger you feel inside,
That keeps you unsatisfied.
It pulls at you constantly.
Like gravity.
This world never was enough.
We're made for a deeper love.
There's a hole in all our hearts.
It's part of our design.

[Chorus]
We were born to be,
A part of something holy.
All of us are restless until we find.
We were born to be,
A part of something holy.
Bigger than, bigger than
Bigger than you and I.
Bigger than, bigger than
Bigger than all our lives.

Stellar Kart
"Something Holy"

I've started an unexpected journey down a road that I have largely ignored in the past.  This path leads me to a destination that is not comfortable.  There are many people on this journey - with real suffering, real hurt, real needs.  And I know God is asking me to travel alongside of Him, remove my blinders, and take the hands of those in my path.  I'm scared of this place, but at the same time, there's no going back for me.  He's raising up in me a "holy passion," (Jen Hatmaker's words) and I'm not sure exactly where it's taking me, but I do know that I trust Him and know He'll show me when He's ready. "We were born to be a part of something holy!"


No comments: